A Day of Learning

Yesterday I spent a  good bit of my day learning a new technique. Well, lets say working on because I don't know that I can say I have "learned" it yet. I think it will take practice to become more comfortable with it. And, maybe it's not really a technique. I don't know - it is a . . . method? style? I don't know, maybe it is referred to as a  technique.


Anyway, what I spent time on was trying to color with my Copic markers to make the appearance of folds in the skirt of a Tilda. I signed up on a new Copic site, CopicColor.com, and after I set up my profile, loaded my Copic colors, built my Copic wishlist and loaded a few images of some of my Copic coloring I started looking at  some of the work others had posted and saw one that I was amazed by. I clicked the users profile and followed their website link to the Make It Colorful blog post where Zoe has a video tutorial on how she colors folds and pleats. And, there was a challenge for followers to make their own and since I loved the way Zoe made the Tilda skirt look so fluid I thought I'd like to try that. 


It took four attempts before I had a skirt I was happy with. One of my biggest issues, in my opinion, is my limited selection of Copic's. I needed a light, medium & dark in the same color family, and they needed to be close enough to blend well. Since my collection is still pretty small I had to try a few combinations until i hit upon one that worked the way I wanted it to. Here is my finished card with my cute little Tilda.






And, here is a side by side of the colored and uncolored Tilda's for comparison. Notice her skirt is rather plain. Normally I would have just colored her skirt solid and then added some shadow to indicate the light source. Until I saw Zoe's video I don't think I ever would have thought to try to create my own folds, pleats, gathers or other shape.




So, now to give you an idea of my progress through this process I will post the first three attempts - in the order they were colored. 


I felt the dark shade was just a bit too dark (not much of a photographer, so I have no idea why I can't get a n0n-fuzzy picture sometimes).

I thought maybe my purples were closer in values and would work better, 
but again, the dark was a bit too dark. Not only that, my dark lines were too shaky and would not blend out very well.

I went back to pinks, but this time I felt that my darkest pink was a bit too light. I did go ahead and color her on out, and I may still use her on a card, we'll see.

Of course I was also trying to work int he color families that worked with the DP I decided I wanted to use. Maybe this process would have been quicker if I had just determined what three colors I had that would work well together and then found a DP to go with it, but then again, maybe not.

Well, now that I have her finished I will post her in Zoe's Challenge #25.

And . . . here is the work-space where I was working yesterday - 
in my den and not in my craft room. 
I have a high-back chair in my den and I found that if I color a little and then rest my head back a little I can keep my problematic neck from hurting too much. So today I have more Tilda's stamped and waiting ion me. :D

Comments

  1. Great idea to show all your attempts! The final result is excellent!! Well done!
    Thanks for playing at MIC.
    Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    Consider a drafting table that you can change the angle so you don't have such a drastic amount of flexion on your spine. Check out o.co for some great deals on them.

    Love you!!!!!!!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. I will not approve comments containing links to other sites for the safety of my subscribers. Thank you for understanding.

Popular posts from this blog

New Copic Marker Storage

Love to color!

Journal Twenty 14 Update