I signed up for an online lettering class by Joanne Sharpe. I'm hoping to make myself more comfortable and happy with hand lettering . It is self-paced so you don't have to start at any particular time and, more importantly, you don't have to "stay with the class" as you work through the lessons. I like that because that means I don't have to stress about not getting a lesson finished on a deadline and falling behind. I'm expecting this to be FUN!!
One of the first things she has the class do is make a journal to do the lessons in. I will make three different journals during the class - this is just the first of three. Here is a look at the cover of my Letter Love Journal. I printed four copies of a digi-stamp from Some Odd Girl, Cold Kitty Tia, in a quad and then colored them with my Copic markers. Kinda, sorta, maybe but not quite in the color-block fashion - maybe a' la Andy Warhol.
I used a bunch of Mod Podge and covered a college ruled composition book with designed paper. I got a non-perforated comp book and I also made sure to get one that was not 3-hole punched. So the inside is more like a good journal than an altered notebook.
The designed paper is from a set by Cosmo Cricket called DeLovely. Interestingly I colored my images with colors I wanted before I even selected papers. I was initially thinking I would just do a haphazard mix of torn paper and tissue paper etc to create a background for my colored image, but when I got in my craft room and started looking at what I had I realized how perfectly the Cosmo Cricket paper matched the colored image. Lets call that serendipity (mostly because I just like the word serendipity!) :D
Once I had the bottom layer of paper adhered I added a length of matching ribbon (no clue who it is by - bought a couple of yards at a LSS a couple of years ago. But it matched so well! Yay! More serendipity!). Ran a little paper lace down the right hand side. Framed out the four girls in a piece of black paper to maker them stand out more and then added a couple of scrap triangles to two corners. I added some pre-made paper-quill flowers to the lower left corner for a little dimension and called it done.
You may have noticed that there is no title on my journal. The class instruction says label it "Letter Love", but I haven't done that yet because I want to wait until I have a few lessons complete so I can see how I am getting along. If I am getting along well enough I would like to hand letter a label to attach to the top center. And, if I don't get a good grasp of it quick enough I will use an alphabet stamp set and stamp the label.
And . . . here is the back of the journal. I cut the pink paper in half and flipped it over for the bottom half to add more interest on the back since I was not planning to embellish the back at all. But, I did add that piece of striped paper - mostly to cover the ribbon running across the back so that it would not get caught on anything and get pulled loose.
I also covered the inside front & back covers with the same paper that is on the spine. I cut the paper for the spine cover with a Spellbinder die. None were the exact right size so I just positioned one end and ran it halfway through the Cuttlebug, backed it out and moved the die to the other end and repeated the process. Once I had the die cut ends I just trimmed the sides with my paper cutter.
So there it is, my lettering journal. Now I have to let all the Mod Podge dry before I can use it.